EMPOWERING VOICES SINCE 1993 – VSA MONTHLY
JULY 2019 NEWSLETTER
HELLO FROM DIRECTOR & PRINCIPAL TEACHER PETER VOX
I hope that you all had a great June and are staying warm and healthy in the cold weather. If you’ve been sick check out this month featured article!
VSA’s developer Pete Hillman and I have been working feverishly behind the scenes building an automated booking and payment system for the http://dev.voxsingingacademy.com.au website that is NOW released and READY to go!!
Here are a few of the numerous ASK VSA YouTube videos being released in June; How Long Should I Practice Singing For Adults & Children, Beginners To Pros?, Should I Do Group Or Private Singing Lessons?, Can I Sing Contemporary Songs If I Am Learning Classical Singing & Vice Versa & How To Correct & Improve Flat Singing. And great free content releases on the Vox Singing Academy YouTube, How ALL Singers Should Be Breathing!!, The Number 1 Rule, Secret & Point To GREAT Singing & How To Pick Songs & Keys That Best Suits Your Vocal Ability just to name a few. As well as Podcasts and Video Podcasts # 27 How To Instantly Improve Your Singing! #28 #29 & #30 watch them on YouTube or listen to them on the big podcast plays.
A quick mention that the next VSA student concert is on Sunday the 4th of August at The Palace Hotel in Camberwell. Come one, come all!
Have a great month ahead.
Thank you for reading.
Be good to each other.
VSA’S FEATURED ARTICLE
COLD AND FLU MANAGEMENT FOR SINGERS
Yes, it is that time of the year when Cold and Flu Management for Singers is all important!
We all know how frustrating it is to have a cold or flu and have to stop practising, stop rehearsing… stop doing what we love which is sing. And subsequently we can lose technique, precious time, not learning songs and lyrics and whatever it is for the performance that we are preparing for.
The techniques that I am going to give you here are going to greatly help you out and get you back up on your feet as quickly as we possibly can.
1. If you feel a cold or flu coming on try to get on to every I am going to tell you here on Day one. Do not do this 2, 3,4,5,6 days down the track because it’s no good then when the cold and flu has full grip. This is so you can nip it in a bud before it gets worse and blows out to something bigger and longer.
2. The main point when you are sick is to stay hydrated (room temperature water). Drink as much as you possibly can so we can flash the system and the bug out. When you’re sick, you don’t always want to drink water but please stay hydrated as it is very important.
3. Load up a lot of Vitamin C. Get this from fruits, get it from the natural sauce, buy a bag of oranges or kiwi fruit as they are very high in Vitamin C. Have 4 or 5 pieces of vitamin C fruit a day. Don’t like fruit? Then please go to the chemist and buy some ascorbic acid powder instead but remember it is better if you get from the natural source = fruit.
# Fact, Guava has the most vitamin C out of any fruit or vegetable and Kiwi fruit is the second.
4. Good quality of vitamins or supplements is also very important. I personally take a good quality multivitamin when I’m sick. I take B Vitamins, cod liver oil tablets, cold eaze tablets. Cold eaze tablets have Zinc, Echinacea, Vitamin C and Garlic in them, you can get this product from your health food stores, chemist or supermarket.
5. Load up onions or garlic – they really build your immune system up!! Yes, your partner and your family aren’t going to like this because you’re going to smell but you’re going to feel the difference, it really works wonders.
6. Olive leaf extract or Echinacea extract in a liquid form is very good. I have some students that absolutely believe in both of these. They take these products and they never have colds. When they feel that symptoms of colds coming along, they start taking these and it never builds into anything more than a minor cold or sniffles.
7. If I have a sore throat, I gargled betadine throat gargle – it’s absolutely fantastic, I gargle this a couple of times every hour. If I am not able to gargle betadine as a substitute, I will gargle warm salty water instead.
8. Good Quality throat lozenges, not lollies. Anything that has an antibacterial agent in it. I highly recommend strepsils, strepfen, throat clear, difflam and betadine throat lozenges. Please avoid any lozenges that have mental or eucalyptus in them as they can strip the natural mucus lining off the vocal cords.
9. Rest – very important when you have a cold or flu because your body is fighting an allergy. So get as much rest vocally and physically as you can so that your body can go to work and try to get rid of what it’s fighting as quickly as you can.
Some other Interesting facts here:
• A common cold is going to last between 5-7 days, your common flu for 7-10 unless you’re not resting and abusing yourself. Though if you are doing everything I have told you above, it might well only last 1 or 2 days. So please try these things that I have given you here, see what works for you so that you can eliminate your cold as quickly as possible.
• If you’re cold or flu is lasting longer or you got sick very quickly are coughing up coloured phlegm that might be green or grey in colour please go to your doctor. Coloured phlegm is a definite sign that you have an infection, ask your doctor to give you some antibiotics so you could get rid of this as quickly as you can and to make sure that it does not turn into a secondary infection such as laryngitis.
Hope these handy hints have helped you out so that you can keep singing. Thanks for reading and we’ll see you next month!
THE ULTIMATE ONLINE SINGING COURSE IS HERE!!
GUARANTEEING FAST RESULTS LIKE NO OTHER SINGING PROGRAM, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!
Courses for anyone of any age with a desire to improve their singing voice – from the absolute beginner to the experienced singer. Greatly develop your vocal tone, confidence, singing range, breathing, pitch, stamina, strength, technique, control. Learn to sing harmonies, gain a start worthy stage presentation, and much more!
THE FULL COURSES ARE DESIGNED TO COVER THE MULTIPLE FACETS OF SINGING AND PERFORMING.
4 courses (Entry level, Intermediate, Advanced & Professional) each of which caters for all genres at different skill levels. Designed for both males and females, adults and children of any skill level!
OR CREATE YOUR OWN SINGING DESTINY WITH ANY OF OUR 17 CUSTOMISED COURSES.
Whether you want to learn to sing RnB, hard rock, pop, sing harmonies, expand your higher range, learn to scream, sing a soft ballad, learn correct breathing techniques or stage presentation — there is a short course here designed to give you the vocal ability and skills you want!
Start your online singing journey here….https://voxsingingacademy.com
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DANIELLE STANDISH!!!
Happy birthday to VSA’s Amazing administration manager Danielle Standish.
Danielle is an integral part of the day-to-day running of the VSA. Danielle started taking singing lessons from Peter Vox when she was only six years old. That makes Peter Vox feel very old!! I hope you have a fantastic day and an amazing year ahead on behalf of all of the staff at Vox Singing Academy.
VSA FEATURED STUDENT/ARTIST OF THE MONTH – NORTHLANE
Northlane are an Australian metalcore band from Sydney, formed in 2009. The band comprises guitarists Jon Deiley and Josh Smith, bassist Alex Milovic, drummer Nic Pettersen and vocalist Marcus Bridge, who replaced founding vocalist Adrian Fitipaldes in late 2014. Both Marcus and Adrian attended singing lessons at Vox singing Academy with headteacher Peter Vox. Northlane have released three studio albums: Discoveries (11 November 2011); Singularity (22 March 2013), which reached No. 3 on the ARIA Albums Chart; and Node (24 July 2015), a number one album. At the ARIA Music Awards of 2015 the group won the Best Hard Rock or Heavy Metal Album category.
On 30 April, the band released their first single and music video for “Bloodline” which was based upon frontman Marcus Bridge’s violent upbringing. The band also stated their new album will be their most personal to date. A world tour was also announced on the back of their new album Alien.
On 3 June, the band announced that their second single “Talking Heads” will be released much earlier than the assumed release date. A few days later, the label released a teaser of the single with an official release date on 5 June. Along with the release of the single, the band announced a new show for their WORLD TOUR for Melbourne after the first one completely sold out.
Northlane will be touring through out Japan, North America, Australia, New Zealand through out the latter part of 2019. Be sure to catch the amazing vocal talents of Marcus Bridge at a show when they are playing near you!!
ACCOLADES FOR NORTHLANE
Node #1 ARIA chart debut
Node triple j feature album
Independent Music Award nomination for Node for Best Independent Heavy Album 2015
Singularity (2013) #3 ARIA chart debut
Singularity (2013) ARIA award nomination for Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Album
Singularity (2013) Nominated for triple j – J Award for Album of the Year
Singularity (2013) #1 triple j Short Fast Loud Album of the Year
Singularity (2013) #1 triple j The Racket Album of the Year
Blunt Magazine ‘Band Of The Year’ & ‘Album Of The Year’ 2013
Alternative Press ‘Best International Band’ Nomination 2015
Metal Hammer Golden Gods ‘Best New Band’ Nomination 2014
Metal Hammer Golden Gods ‘Best Music Video’ Nomination 2015 – “Rot”
VSA BAYSWATER STUDIO MURAL
The new mural on VSA’s Bayswater studio looks absolutely killer, don’t you agree?
VSA NEXT STUDENT CONCERT!
Sunday The 4th Of August
1:00 PM Start
The Palace Hotel
893 Burke Road, Camberwell
03 9813 3566
VSA student concerts are a great way to gain valuable stage experience in a professional environment, using professional sound equipment, lighting and staging with an audience of your fellow students, family and friends cheering you on!
Fantastic food and drinks are also available. Families are encouraged to book a table if there are more than 4 people attending. Everyone welcome! Free parking at the rear of the venue.
Prizes, giveaways, Vox Singing Academy gift vouchers and free lessons, Palace Hotel food and beverage gift vouchers will be given away at the end of the show as encouragement awards! So it’s best to hang around until the end and support your fellow singers!
For more information visit our website: www.voxsingingacademy.com.au/our-student-concerts/ or give us a call: 0422 278 289
CHECK OUT VSA’S 2 YOUTUBE CHANNELS!
The 5 Minute Singer – ASK VSA Channel
VSA has not one but two amazing YouTube channels! The 5 Minute Singer – ASK VSA is solely devoted to answering all questions regarding singing and to give you great free quality singing tutorials and advice regarding everything to do with singing. Check it out and subscribe here….. http://tinyurl.com/The5MinuteSinger
The Vox Singing Academy Channel
And also subscribe and check out Vox Singing Academy’s official YouTube channel that is jam-packed with amazing free content! Just some of the playlists this YouTube channel contains are The Vox Singing Academy video podcasts, Actual Vox singing Academy singing in class singing lessons, Live student concert performances, Vox Singing Academy teachers performing songs, Famous students & teacher interviews and wall of fame inductees just name and a few. Check it out here….
SINGING TEACHERS WANTED!
VOX SINGING ACADEMY IS GROWING!
WE WANT YOU ON OUR TEAM!
Are you a confident vocalist and want to share your skills and experience? You must be reliable, friendly and outgoing? Attentive, enthusiastic, and a love of singing? Willing to learn and follow our exclusive syllabus?
– Over 27 years old
– Performed on stage and/or in a recording studio
– Previous teaching experience is beneficial, but not required
– Past and current students welcome to apply.
Free intensive training provided to the right person, with potential to work one to five days a week in VSA studios all over Melbourne and online. We are looking for teachers to teach ASAP at our Dandenong, Bayswater or Carnegie studio.
Send your resume to Peter Vox:
CONNECT WITH US
TEAM VSA – We Will Rock You!
P: 1300 183 732
M: 0422 278 289
VSA – Website:
VSA – Facebook:
THE ULTIMATE ONLINE SINGING COURSE – Website:
THE ULTIMATE ONLINE SINGING COURSE – Facebook:
The 5 Minute Singer – ASK VSA Channel – FREE Singing Tutorials:
VSA – Youtube:
VSA – Instagram:
VSA – Twitter:
Peter Vox – Facebook: